Sunday, November 8, 2009

Jealous Hands

If being in a band was a burning building the one thing I'd run back inside to save would be songwriting. Making songs with my friends might be the only part that I actually like--I'd happily watch the rest of it go up in smoke.

I write this on the eve of the release of our first full-length album, Wolfe Moon, which drops in less than a week. Upon completing the record, we attempted to instill a songwriting moratorium in an effort to channel all of our energies into promoting the fruits of our labor. I am writing this because the dam has broken. The proposition of only being able to share ten to twelve songs a year feels both outmoded and at odds with our creative spirits.

Brian brought this song in pretty much intact. We've been wanting to do a piano-driven song for a while and this one seemed like a strong candidate. He graciously allowed me fifteen minutes to write a piano part before he pressed record (on Sawtooth Mountain we shoot from the hip). The vocals, acoustic guitar and Rhodes were all tracked live in Brian's dining room. Later, we added banjo, toy piano and some ace backup vocals by Anna Barss-Bailey (pictured) in my bedroom, between spoonfuls of potato leek soup.

3 comments:

  1. I love the song, Scott. I'm also happy to know you've started this blog, because I like you, and I look forward to reading about what you're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that I can say about this site is what Thoreau said about his bean-field in Walden:
    Your auxiliaries "are the dews and rains which water this dry soil, and what fertility is in the soil itself, which for the most part is lean and effete" while your enemies "are worms, cool days, and most of all woodchucks."

    Godspeed gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it...definitely different than Tallahassee. Keep posting songs. You guys are songwriting machines.

    ReplyDelete